Saturday, May 2, 2009

Are we really sure of our choices?

I have been asking this question to myself for quite some time now. Since childhood I have this problem, I am never clear what it that I would prefer is. There is always more than one option and all seems to be right, well as is the saying that there is never a right or wrong, only choices.

From the more important questions like :
a) World Peace and dis-armament of nations
b) Whom to vote for national government
c) To help other countries with your nation’s supplies
d) Terrorism
e) Drug trade

Etc. to some petite ones like :
a) what stream to choose for majors
b) which girl do I like
c) which job to choose

to the frivolous ones like
a) is gel pen better or ball pen
b) should I order burger or pizza

There are never clear straightforward answers. When we don’t have answers ourselves we resort to help from friends and family. We seek their suggestion and guidance. But does that also help to get the right answer? I mean collectively people were wrong when they went with Hitler, when America decided to bomb Japan, when people form naxal groups.
The situation is even worse when a majority group assigns the decision power for them, in hands of one individual. That individual is never right for himself, can he be really right for a group? Doesnt he increases the tragic of going wrong exponentially, because earlier his mistake was his own, now it will be for the whole community?

Questions again to ask are, are we really evolving and does this system of forming corridors of power and assigning power to a elite few who walk past these to decide our future, good enough?

I guess answer is as somebody has said “ like cars in an amusement park, the direction in our life is often determined by collisions” .

No comments: